The Salvation Army partners with WVEC 13 NewsNow, The Virginian-Pilot Joy Fund, United States Marine Corps Toys for Tots and Operation Blessing to provide Christmas assistance to families in need. Families with children ages 0-11 may apply for this program and receive toys, food and, if selected for the Angel Tree program, clothing items as well.
Since 1984, WVEC-TV 13 NewsNow has been a proud partner of The Salvation Army’s Angel Tree program. In Hampton Roads, each Christmas more than 60 businesses, churches, corporations, and vendors display Angel Tree for community members to adopt and shop for clothing for a child in need registered with The Salvation Army. Clothing items are returned to the location where the tag was picked up and The Salvation Army picks the items up from the store and distributes them to the appropriate children during Christmas distribution.
**Frequently Asked Questions:**
Who Can Apply?
The Salvation Army is looking for families in need of help this Christmas season. If you are facing economic hardships or household crisis and have children ages birth through 11 years old, you may be eligible for holiday assistance this year.
How Do I Apply?
The Salvation Army will be hosting the application events listed below. We are not currently planning to schedule any additional application activities outside of those listed below. If you’d like to apply, please plan to attend one of these events bringing all noted paperwork.
What Do I Need To Bring With Me When I Apply?
- Current Government Picture ID for Parent/Guardian (With correct address or 2 bills to prove city of residence)
- Birth Certificates for ALL children ages 0-11 (we must be able to verify each child’s age and parents)
- If you are not the parent of the child you’re applying for you must bring proof of legal guardianship.
- Current documentation of TANF or Food Stamps. If you do not receive TANF or Food Stamps please bring the following…
- Employment paystubs (for the last 30 days)
- Proof of unemployment benefits, child support, housing assistance, Social Security, SSI and/or verification of any other types of household income.
- Proof of household Crisis (if applicable)
You must bring the documents above when you apply. If you are missing any of this documentation, you will be asked to collect it and come back to another application event
NORFOLK + VIRGINIA BEACH + CHESAPEAKE* SIGN UP DATES
*Chesapeake residents in zip codes 23321/23323 please see the Portsmouth information below
Tuesday, November 1: 2 – 4PM at Area Command (5525 Raby Rd., Norfolk)
Thursday, November 3: 10AM – Noon at Area Command (5525 Raby Rd., Norfolk)
Tuesday, November 8: 2 – 4PM at Area Command (5525 Raby Rd., Norfolk)
Thursday, November 10: 10AM – Noon at Area Command (5525 Raby Rd., Norfolk)
Tuesday, November 15: 2 – 4PM at Area Command (5525 Raby Rd., Norfolk)
Thursday, November 17: 10AM – Noon at Area Command (5525 Raby Rd., Norfolk)
Tuesday, November 22: 2 – 4PM at Area Command (5525 Raby Rd., Norfolk)
Tuesday, November 29: 2 – 4PM at Area Command (5525 Raby Rd., Norfolk)
PORTSMOUTH SIGN UP DATES
After 11/1/16, Portsmouth will have completed accepting 2016 applications. Call them only if you have an emergency need. Late applications WILL NOT be able to come to Norfolk’s extended dates.
Please email us at email@example.com with any questions!
- Volunteer Bellringers
- Angel Tree Information & Locations