December 15 – 19 at Christmas Depot
December 20 at Portsmouth
The Salvation Army partners with WVEC 13 NewsNow, The Virginian-Pilot Joy Fund, United States Marine Corps Toys for Tots and Operation Blessing to provide Christmas assistance to families in need. Families with children ages 0-11 may apply for this program and receive toys, food and, if selected for the Angel Tree program, clothing items as well.
Since 1984, WVEC-TV 13 NewsNow has been a proud partner of The Salvation Army’s Angel Tree program. In Hampton Roads each Christmas more than 60 businesses, churches, corporations, and vendors display Angel Tree for community members to adopt and shop for clothing for a child in need registered with The Salvation Army. Clothing items are then returned to the location where the tag was picked up and The Salvation Army picks the items up from the store and distributes them to the appropriate children during Christmas distribution.
**Frequently Asked Questions:**
Who Can Apply?
The Salvation Army is looking for families in need of help this Christmas season. If you are facing an economic hardships or household crisis and have children ages birth through 11 years old, you may be eligible for holiday assistance this year.
How Do I Apply?
The Salvation Army will be hosting the application events listed below. We are not currently planning to schedule any additional application activities outside of those listed below. If you’d like to apply, please plan to attend one of these events bringing all noted paperwork.
What Do I Need To Bring With Me When I Apply?
- Current Government Picture ID for Parent/Guardian (With correct address or 2 bills to prove city of residence)
- Birth Certificates for ALL children ages 0-11 (we must be able to verify each child’s age and parents)
- If you are not the parent of the child you’re applying for you must bring proof of legal guardianship.
- Social Security Cards for ALL children ages 0-11 (limited exceptions allowed for newborns, adopted children and for immigration issues)
- Current documentation of TANF or Food Stamps. If you do not receive TANF or Food Stamps please bring the following…
- Employment paystubs (for the last 30 days)
- Proof of unemployment benefits, child support, housing assistance, Social Security, SSI and/or verification of any other types of household income.
- Proof of household Crisis (if applicable)
You must bring the documents above when you apply. If you are missing any of this documentation, you will be asked to collect it and come back to another application event
NORFOLK + VIRGINIA BEACH + CHESAPEAKE* SIGN UP DATES
*Chesapeake residents in zip codes 23321/23323 please see he Portsmouth locations/times below
Saturday, September 17: 9AM – 1PM at The Kroc Center (1401 Ballentine Blvd, Norfolk)
Saturday, September 24: 10AM – 1PM at Military Circle Mall (880 N Military Hwy, Norfolk)
Thursday, September 29: 9AM – 12PM at Thalia Baptist Church (4392 Virginia Beach Blvd, Virginia Beach)
Monday, October 10: 9AM – 1PM at The Kroc Center (1401 Ballentine Blvd, Norfolk)
Monday, October 10: 4PM – 7PM at The Kroc Center (1401 Ballentine Blvd, Norfolk)
Saturday, October 15: 9AM – 1PM at The Kroc Center (1401 Ballentine Blvd, Norfolk)
Saturday, October 22: 10AM – 1PM at Military Circle Mall (880 N Military Hwy, Norfolk)
Wednesday, October 26: 4PM – 7PM at Area Command (5525 Raby Road, Norfolk)
- Bring picture ID
- Do not bring children or other adults. Only one adult per family will be allowed in the Depot, and NO children are allowed.
- When inside the Depot, turn off cell phone as a courtesy to others.
PORTSMOUTH + *Chesapeake 23321/23323 Resident SIGN UP DATES
Friday, September 30: 1PM – 5PM
Saturday, October 1: 10AM – 1PM
Tuesday, October 4: 9:30AM – 1PM
Wednesday, October 4: 9:30AM – 3:30PM
Thursday, October 6: 9:30AM – 3:30PM
Friday, October 7: 9:30AM – 3:30PM
Monday, October 10: 10AM – 2PM
Tuesday, October 11: 10AM – 2PM
Wednesday, October 12: 10AM – 2PM
Thursday, October 12: 10AM – 2PM
Tuesday, October 13: 10AM – 2PM
Tuesday, October 18: 10AM – 2PM
Tuesday, November 1: 10AM – 2PM
Please email us at email@example.com with any questions!
Applications will be taken October 5 – 22 (Mondays – Thursdays 9AM – Noon and 1PM – 3PM) at the Hampton Corps (1033 Big Bethel Road, Hampton).
Birth certificate(s) for child(ren)*
If serving as guardian, must provide guardianship papers
Award letter from social services (food stamps, Medicaid, TANF, SSI, etc.)
If no government assistance, please provide two current paystubs
*Applications for children 12 and under.
For more information, contact the Hampton Corps (757.838.4875).