2018 CHRISTMAS ASSISTANCE
The Salvation Army partners with 13 NewsNow, The Virginian-Pilot Joy Fund, United States Marine Corps Toys for Tots and Operation Blessing to provide Christmas assistance to families in need. Families with children ages 0-11 may apply for this program and receive toys, food and, if selected for the Angel Tree program, clothing items as well.
Who we are?
The Salvation Army, The Joy Fund, Toys for Tots, Operation Blessing and the Angel Tree programs are working together again to assist families in need this year. Families can apply for all four programs with a single application using the process listed below. Assistance for each of these programs will then be provided at a single distribution site between December 17th and December 21st.
Who Do We Serve?
The Salvation Army is looking for families in need of help this Christmas season. If you are facing an economic hardship or household crisis and have children ages birth through 11 years old (born after 12/01/06), you may be eligible for holiday assistance this year.
What Do We Provide?
Children ages birth through 11 years will receive toys courtesy of the Toys for Tots and Joy Fund programs; a food package; a stocking and the possibility of clothing items through the Angel Tree program.
How Do I Apply?
The Salvation Army is not planning to schedule any additional application activities outside of those listed here. If you’d like to apply, please plan to attend one of these events bringing all paperwork noted:
- Current Government Picture ID for Parent/Guardian (With correct address or 2 bills to prove city of residence)
- Birth Certificates for ALL children ages 0-11 (we must be able to verify each child’s age)
- If you are not the parent of the child you’re applying for, YOU MUST bring proof of guardianship.
- Current documentation (less than 12 months) of TANF, income based housing and/or Food Stamps (SNAP). SNAP cards will only be considered if they include your name on the front.
- If you do not receive any of the above income pre-qualifiers, please bring the following…
- Employment paystubs- Last 30 days worth for all working household members. If self employed, bring 30 days of work receipts or your 2017 W-2.
- Proof of unemployment benefits, child support, housing assistance, Social Security, SSI and/or verification of any other types of household income.
- IF REPORTING $0 income (and no pre-qualifier), you will be required to go to your local Employment Commission office and get documentation showing you have not worked in the state of Virginia in the last quarter.
- Proof of household Crisis will be required if your income exceeds current poverty guidelines.
You must bring the documents above when you apply. If you are missing any of this
documentation, you will be asked to collect it and come back to another application event