For over thirty years, The Salvation Army Hampton Roads Area Command has worked with 13NewsNow to make sure that the children of Hampton Roads get back to school with The Write Stuff.
Where To Donate
During the month of August, at locations throughout Hampton Roads drop-off barrels and boxes are available for the community to donate new school supplies to be distributed by The Salvation Army in the final weeks before school begins. Pertinent information can be found below or by calling 757-543-8100 ext 64249. Click here for a list of locations.
NEW this year!
You can now support The Write Stuff campaign without having to visit the store! CLICK HERE to make an online donation.
Write Stuff Signup Information:
Families fitting all of the following criteria may apply:
- Household has at least one child in grades K-12
- Household resides in Norfolk, Virginia Beach or Chesapeake (limited) See Portsmouth section below for Portsmouth and Chesapeake 23321/23323 households.
- Household is experiencing documentable financial distress or crisis
How to Apply:
Location: Military Circle Mall: 880 N Military Hwy, Norfolk, VA 23504 (near the East Theater Entrance.)
Dates/Times: August 28-29 10AM – 3PM
Items Required to Apply:
- Picture ID for head of household (applicant).
- Proof of address (lease/mortgage statement or two household bills).
- Birth Certificate or official document showing child’s age along with proof of guardianship if other than Birth Certificate for children in grades K-12.
- If you also plan to apply for Christmas assistance please plan to bring these for any younger children as well.
- *YOU MUST BE THE PARENT OR LEGAL GUARDIAN OF THE CHILDREN ABOVE TO BE CONSIDERED*
- Proof of any and all household income for the last 30 days including but not limited to: employment income, unemployment income, child support, disability, social security, retirement, vet benefits, etc.
- If you receive TANF or Food Stamps you will only need to provide proof of either to qualify.
- If your household income exceeds government income poverty guidelines you will also be required to provide proof of your crisis.
If there is no household TANF or Food Stamps, please bring proof of all household income, including but not limited to: employment income, unemployment income, child support, disability, retirement, vet benefits, etc.
Christmas applications will be accepted during Write Stuff distribution. If household includes children younger than school age, please bring their birth certificates and social security cards.
Portsmouth Write Stuff Distribution (City of Portsmouth Residents and Chesapeake Zip Codes 23321 & 23323):
Attention parents of children entering grades K-12 for the 2018-2019 school year: The Salvation Army will be taking applications for our 2018 Write Stuff program to provide book bags and school supplies to those children who reside and attend school in the city of Portsmouth and in the 23321 and 23323 zip codes of Chesapeake. Applications will be taken at our office building on 2306 Airline Boulevard, Portsmouth, VA. For questions, please call our office at (757) 393-2519.
Application dates: August 27-28 10AM-3PM
Please bring the following documentation with you when applying:
- Photo ID
- Proof of residency (lease or mortgage)
- Birth certificates and school entrance letters of final report card for June 2017 for all school-aged children