Volunteering with The Salvation Army
The Salvation Army allows Community Service Hours Monday through Friday, 8:00am to 4:30pm, with up to 3 workers a day. Workers who arrive later than 8:15am will not be allowed to complete their hours those days.
Court Mandated/Community Service hours may be completed on a case by case basis with The Salvation Army. Community Services Workers must fill out a Volunteer Application Form and bring the completed form in, along with their paperwork, after speaking with Volunteer Coordinator, Shelby Hunt or Jim Iman and being approved for hours.
Volunteers are the Army in The Salvation Army! Any Salvation Army officer or employee would tell you that the volunteers help us to provide our programs and services on a weekly basis. Just last year, 7,564 Hampton Roads Area Command volunteers served a total of 15,416 hours!
Below are some ways that you can help The Salvation Army though your volunteer service…
1. At our Hampton Roads Area Command, you can assist with:
– Sorting and Packing food donations for our Social Services Food Pantry
– Assist with various administrative duties such as stuffing envelopes, making presentation packets and doing data entry
– Complet yard work, painting and other handy man tasks
2. At our HOPE Village, you can assist with:
– Cleaning and preparing units for new families
– Hosting self-sufficiency workshops for residents
3. At our Hampton Roads Kroc Center, you can assist with:
– Krocscape! Helping to keep the very large grounds in presentable condition with completing landscaping.
4. At our Men’s HOPE Center, you can assist with:
– Serving meals
– Cleaning our shelter (washing linens, mopping, sweeping, etc.)
– Landscaping and painting duties
5. At our Portsmouth Corps, you can assist with:
– Landscaping duties
– Assisting with holiday intake (Christmas applications)
6. Mobile Canteen, you can assist with:
– Training and volunteering for Emergency Disaster Services (local and out of state)
– Serving meals to the homeless and hungry in our community
7. Seasonal Volunteer Opportunities, you can assist with:
– Write Stuff Campaign
– Angel Tree (assisting with intake/applications and sorting/packing donations at the Depot)
– Thanksgiving Feast
– Red Kettle Ringing – In desperate need of volunteer bellringers this holiday season
– Christmas Depot
Community Service Worker Form
If you are in need of community service hours please contact our Volunteer Coordinator, Shelby Hunt, at Shelby.Hunt@uss.salvationarmy.org or call (757)965-9018.