These muffins are low in sugar and high in protein. They are also light and summery, perfect to grab and go!
½ cup sugar
1 cup plain nonfat Greek yogurt
1/3 cup canola oil
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups white whole-wheat flour
1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt
1 ½ cups fresh raspberries
1. Preheat oven to 400. Coat 12 large muffin cups with cooking spray or line with paper liners.
2. Use a vegetable peeler to remove the zest from the lemon in long strips. Combine the zest and sugar in a food processor; pulse until the zest is very finely chopped into the sugar.
3. Add yogurt, oil, egg and vanilla. Pulse until blended.
4. Combine whole-wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Add the yogurt mixture and fold until almost blended. Gently fold in raspberries. Divide the batter (it will be thick) among the muffin cups.
5. Bake the muffins until the edges and tops are golden, 18 – 25 minutes. Let cool in the pan for five minutes before turning out onto a wire rack. Serve warm.
Makes one dozen muffins.