GENERAL INFORMATION ABOUT THE PROGRAM
The HeartStrings Program is an after school strings instruction program initially developed by the Virginia Symphony Orchestra in partnership with The Salvation Army. The program utilizes string instruction and creative activities to build character and develop appreciation for music in young students, their parents and guardians, and the communities they represent. We are accepting 30 rising first and second grade students into the program for the upcoming year.
- Dates: August 1st through August 12th 8AM-12PM
- Cost: $40 for Kroc Center members and $55 for non-members
- Transportation – is to be provided by the parents/guardians to and from the summer camp sessions.
- Check-in/Registration and a morning snack will be provided
- A concert presentation will occur on the final day of camp at 11AM.
- More information will be given at the HeartStrings Parent/Guardian Orientation Wednesday, July 27th, and Thursday, July 28th from 6-7PM. Parents MUST attend ONE session in order to participate. If a parent/guardian is not able to attend one of the above orientation session, please call Marleen K. Mallory at (757)622-5762 *64341 to make an orientation appointment.
- Children accepted to the HeartStrings Summer Camp are expected to participate in the
School Year HeartStrings Program
SCHOOL YEAR PROGRAM:
- Classes meet most Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays from 3:30 p.m. – 6:00PM at The Salvation Army
- School Year Session will begin October 4, 2016 through December 15, 2016 then resume on January 3, 2017 and will run through May 11, 2017.
- Cost: $15 per week OR $5 per week for those who qualify for free/reduced lunch at their school
- Homework assistance and an afternoon snack will be provided.
- Transportation TO the center can be provided through Norfolk Public Schools from Chesterfield Academy, Granby Elementary, Academy for Discovery at Lakewood, and Jacox Elementary. Parents will need to request a B-70 form from your child’s school to request The Salvation Army Kroc Center as an alternate drop off location.
- Parents/Guardians are responsible for picking up their child(ren) at 6:00PM on the days classes are held
- A formal HeartStrings Academic Calendar will be given at Parent Orientation
Additional information concerning the HeartStrings Program will be provided at the orientation sessions and throughout the term of the Program.
1401 Ballentine Blvd, Norfolk VA 23504 · 757-622-KROC
The Salvation Army is committed to creating a first class gateway and spiritual center, producing tangible outcomes that will transform the youth, families and neighborhoods of the Hampton Roads area through education, creative arts, recreational activities and worship.