The Salvation Army
& The Virginia Symphony Orchestra
In partnership with The Virginia Symphony Orchestra, HeartStrings is a music education program that uses the talents of classically trained musicians and creative activities to build character and develop an appreciation of music in young students. Learning music helps children in all areas of learning, from math and language skills to hand/eye coordination and art.
“Changing the hearts of the community, one NOTE at a time . . .”
GENERAL INFORMATION ABOUT THE PROGRAM
The HeartStrings Program is an after school strings instruction program initially developed by the Virginia Symphony Orchestra in partnership with The Salvation Army. The program utilizes string instruction and creative activities to build character and develop appreciation for music in young students, their parents and guardians, and the communities they represent. We are accepting 30 rising first grade students into the program for the upcoming year.
Applications are available here OR through the selected elementary school’s Music Teacher OR at The Salvation Army Ray and Joan Kroc Corps Community Center.
- Dates: August 3th through August 14th 8AM-12PM
- Cost: $40 for Kroc Center members and $55 for non-members
- Transportation – is to be provided by the parents/guardians to and from the summer camp sessions.
- Check-in/Registration and a morning snack will be provided at 8:00AM
- All sessions are from 8:30AM – 12PM EXCEPT the final session on August 14, 2015. This will be a full day session from 8AM – 6:00PM. More information will be given at the HeartStrings Parent/Guardian Orientation Monday, June 22, 2015 from 6-7PM and Wednesday, July 29, 2015 from 6-7PM. Parents MUST attend one orientation in order to participate.
- Children accepted to the HeartStrings Summer Camp are expected to participate in the School Year HeartStrings Program.
SCHOOL YEAR PROGRAM:
- Classes meet most Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays from 3:30 p.m. – 6:00PM at The Kroc Center
- School Year Session will begin on September 29, 2015 through December 17, 2015 then resume on January 5, 2016 and will run through May 12, 2016.
- Cost: $15 per week OR $5 per week for those who qualify for free/reduced lunch at their school
- Homework assistance and an afternoon snack will be provided.
- Transportation TO the center can be provided through Norfolk Public Schools from Campostella Elementary, Chesterfield Academy, Granby Elementary, and Jacox Elementary. Parents will need to request a B-70 form from your child’s school to request The Salvation Army Kroc Center as an alternate drop off location.
- Parents/Guardians are responsible for picking up their child(ren) at 6:00PM on the days classes are held
- A formal HeartStrings Academic Calendar will be given at Parent Orientation
Additional information concerning the HeartStrings Program will be provided at the orientation sessions and throughout the term of the Program.
The Salvation Army is committed to creating a first class gateway and spiritual center, producing tangible outcomes that will transform the youth, families and neighborhoods of the Hampton Roads area through education, creative arts, recreational activities and worship.