The Salvation Army of Loudoun County
Donation Center Guidelines
Tuesday – Friday 9am–4pm Saturday 9am–2pm
The revenue from the sale of your donations helps to fund the many services and resources that The Salvation Army provides to the residents of Loudoun County. We gratefully accept gently used donations that can be sold in our store or given to needy residents in support of our mission. To make the donation process easy and efficient, please bag or box donated items. Loose items are harder for employees to handle and take more time to collect.
All donations to The Salvation Army are tax deductible. Simply ask for a receipt and we will gladly provide one. A donation value guide for tax purposes can be found at: http://salvationarmysouth.org/valueguide-htm/. Staple the receipt you receive from our organization to your own itemized list. Give this list to your tax preparer who will determine your eligible deduction amount.
Donations can be made at our retail store, at 10 Cardinal Park Drive Leesburg, Va. Please come to the last Garage door on the right side of the building. Thrift Store business hours Monday thru Saturdays from 10:00 AM thru 4:00 PM. Pick-Ups – At this time we will not be scheduling pick-ups. Donations – will be accepted from Tuesday thru Saturday, from 10:00 AM – 2:00 PM (same hours before we closed). Any drop-off donations before and after-hours are discouraged and considered illegal dumping (By Virginia State code Section 33.1-346 )
We may also be able to provide free pick-up for large items or large loads.
All donations that The Salvation Army can sell in its store are greatly appreciated. However, when we receive items that cannot be used, we must pay to dispose of them. That raises our expenses and reduces the resources that we have available to fund the programs and services we provide to the community. Please dispose of the items listed below through an alternative responsible resource, such as your local waste management/recycling center.
We cannot accept items that are torn, soiled, stained, excessively worn, pet damaged or structurally unstable. The Salvation Army does not repair or clean items and can only offer “for sale” in the store clean and useable items. Below is a list of specific items not acceptable.
Items we cannot accept:
- Large household appliances. That have mechanical difficulties, missing power cord or is rusty or dirty. NO gas appliances whatsoever.
- Mattresses Taken on a case by case basis only. (Due to space restrictions and health department regulations.) We reserve the right to decline.
- Televisions older than 7 years. The date can be found on the back of the television.
- Built in appliances. (Ovens. Stoves. Dishwashers. Microwave etc.)
- Frequently recalled items. Such as toys, stuffed animals, games and puzzles, bicycle helmets, car seats, strollers, play yards, safety gates and other infant/ toddler furniture; i.e. cribs.
- Automobile parts. Such as tires, wheels, batteries, seats, auto body parts and engines. (We do not sell these items in our store or dispose of them.)
- Paint or chemicals of any kind. (We are not allowed to sell these items in our store nor are we allowed to dispose of them in the local landfill.)
- Kerosene and Gas heaters. (We are not licensed to handle or sell items of this kind and disposal is restricted.
- Computer printers and parts, CRT monitors, due to toxic material content.
- Exercise equipment. Treadmills, elliptical, etc. these items will not be accepted.
Taken on a case by case basis only. (Due to space restrictions and health department regulations.) We reserve the right to decline.
This list is to be used as a guideline. There are many items we can and cannot use in the store that are listed. There may be other items in which we will need to turn down due to size, condition or stability. For more information, please contact our Leesburg donation center directly at 703-779-2301.