Schedule A Time to Apply for Assistance
Registration for the 2020 Christmas Assistance program will begin in mid-September. The link to book an online appointment will be posted to this page when the time comes.
Este año, las personas que hablan español en el área de Richmond tendrán la oportunidad de registrarse a través de la Oficina de Asuntos Multiculturales de la Ciudad de Richmond (OMA por sus siglas en inglés).
Online appointments open:
Tri-Cities: September 14 – 16
OMA (Spanish): September 21 – 24
Richmond: September 28 – October 8
Richmond Seniors (62+): September 30 – October 8
Requirements for Assistance
Families MUST meet at least one of the following criteria to be eligible for assistance:
- Experiencing a financial crisis or hardship
- Child/children participate on free or reduced lunch program
- Receive TANF (please bring award letter)
- Receive SNAP (please bring award letter)
- Low income, at/below the poverty line
Families MUST bring the following records with them to their appointment:
- Photo identification (proof of current address needed if not on I.D.)
- Birth certificates (to verify ages) for registered children (ages 0-14)
- Applicant should be prepared with all eligible children’s clothing sizes.
- Proof of household income (one of the following)
- Benefits award letter from Social Services or Section 8 Housing or
- Most current month’s paystub or
- Benefits award letter from Employment Commission or
- Benefits award letter from Social Security or private insurance company
Requesting Christmas Assistance
- Anyone requesting Christmas Assistance will schedule an appointment online to come in and register for assistance in person.
- We will release a set number of appointments online each day. Appointments become available exactly two weeks before the in-person registration date. For example, for an in-person registration date of October 16, the earliest those appointments would appear in our online system is October 2.
- Please keep in mind, due to a high volume of requests, we can’t guarantee your preferred date will be available. If a particular day is booked, your best bet is to check the system every day as new appointments get released.
- During in-person registration, you must bring all required documentation and wish lists/clothing sizes for your children.
- If all requirements are met, you will then be given a time/day to return to pick up your gifts and coat(s) in December.