Located about two hours south of Washington, D.C. in Richardsville, Virginia, Camp Happyland is a summer destination for more than 1,000 youth from communities that the Salvation Army serves in the Washington, D.C. metro area and Virginia. From sun up to sundown, campers are learning more about themselves and God’s creation, while meeting and interacting with kids their age. Camp Happyland provides three nutritious meals daily, hydration (water) breaks, and snacks. The program is accredited by the American Camping Association and participates in the USDA summer nutrition program.
From music, performing arts, recreational and outdoor experiences to spiritual formations, the goal of Camp Happyland is all-inclusive ministry that strengthens the body, soul, and mind. For more than 100 years, The Salvation Army has recognized the value of camping and has witnessed the difference it can make in people’s lives. For an underprivileged child who’s only known city concrete, the blare of car horns and whirl of mass transit, it opens up an entirely new world.
In 2019, the traditional camp program consists of one-week programs for school-age children from June 17 –July 27, plus the four-week music conservatory program.
Summer Camp Schedule 2019
June 17 – June 22
- Music Camp (boys and girls, ages 8-17)
June 24 – 29
- Community Camp 1 (boys and girls, ages 6-12)
June 24 – July 20
- Music Conservatory (boys and girls, ages 12-17 selected by Divisional Music Director)
July 1 – 6
- Discovery Camp (boys and girls, 1st-6th grades, min. age is 6)
- Teen Boys (ages 13-17)
July 8 – 13
- Community Camp 2 (boys and girls, ages 6-12)
- Teen Girls (ages 13-17)
July 15 – 20
- Community Camp 3 (boys and girls, ages 6-12)
- Jr. Soldier (boys and girls, ages 7-12)
July 22 – 27
- Victory Sports Camp (boys and girls, ages 10-17)
- Leadership Trek (boys and girls, ages 14-17)
This ACA accredited* camp offers swimming, hiking, outdoor skills training, crafts, and much more. Friendships and memories from summer camp last a lifetime.